In order to get maximum production, longevity, superior quality and vigor proper seed processing in Balaklava is necessary. This is the process where the seeds are derived, cleaned, threshed and properly dried before they are sent for processing. It is quite frustration to eagerly wait in the growing months of the seed crop and then lose the same for improper harvesting and handling. It requires the apt knowledge for proper harvesting of the seeds so that the yield is up to the mark.
The following are some of the steps that are necessary for the processing of the seeds. This includes the following steps:
Steps for Seed Processing
- Threshing-The process of removing the seeds from the plants is called threshing. It also involves breaking up the remaining parts like leaves and stems. These are called chaffs. The dry heads of the seeds are then broken down so that the seed comes out from inside and then the plant material is broken down. Thus this step involves the separation of the plant materials and the seeds in the seed cleaning process. This process is primarily accomplished by hands or machines on the basis of the variety of the seeds to be processed and the scale of processing.
- Dry Seed Cleaning – Seed cleaning in Yorke Peninsula or elsewhere can be of two types dry and wet. Dry seed cleaning is necessary for staple foods like wheat. After threshing comes the process of harvesting. These dry seeds are then mixed with the other plant materials like leaves, dirt, sticks and stones as well as weed seeds. These things inevitably come with the seeds that are collected after harvesting. They are then cleaned or rather separated from these materials on the basis of the size, shape and weight of the seeds. Machines are often used in this case.
- Wet Seed Cleaning – Wet seeds are the seeds that are produced in the fruits like cucumbers, squash and tomatoes. A wet seed extractor is used for crushing the fruits for extracting the seeds. This can also be done manually. Some of these seeds require the fermentation process that follows extraction. The others can be directly dried after washing them with the hands.
The above steps must be performed for the appropriate processing of seeds.
Farming is an important aspect of our lives as it is through farming that we obtain the food that we consume on a daily basis. The flour that goes into your bread and cakes and the rice that you consume every day comes from the various agricultural lands. These agricultural lands occupy a large area which is often segregated from the land used for residential and commercial buildings. Apart from fertile land and farming equipment, there is the need for seeds that allow the crops to grow. Farmers do not randomly take seeds to sow them as not all seeds are ready to germinate and therefore often approach service providers who can help them with seed cleaning in Booleroo. Seeds are cleaned to make them suitable for sowing.
The importance of seed cleaning
The seed cleaning procedure includes putting them in designated machines to get rid of leaves, sand, soil and roots that may rot and cause the seed to get damaged with the presence of mould. Seed cleaning is one of the last methods applied during harvesting as freshly cleaned and treated seeds give out the best harvest. Farmers often believe that dirty grain if stored rot faster and thus incurring heavy losses. Therefore, several methods are used by professionals who deal with treating grain seeds. A few are –
- Winnowing – This involves physical effort where the seeds are allowed to sieve with the help of a blower, fan or simply the wind. The heavier grains are left aside while the lighter and unwanted materials are sieved off and thus cleaning them to a certain extent.
- Screening – This process has a machine taking in the grains and accordingly with the proper procedure is capable of removing other unwanted material such as weed seeds, stones, sand, soil, etc. and bringing out only the grains.
Selecting the right grain for harvesting
Farmers often keep a part of their annual harvest to use it as seeds for the next crop circle. While they store them, it is essential to bear in mind certain aspects to make the harvest flourish and give better yields.
- Check the seed well – Removing deformed, discoloured, broken and germinated before storing grains for harvest can save up on time before sowing them. This would bring out the best seeds and thus give a flourished harvest with the good quality seeds.
- Grading them – Professionals who have expertise on grain sizes and its quality would often advise farmers to consult them while they look out for the right size and the shape of the grain. Deformed or smaller sized grains may not give the good yield as expected.
Following seed processing in Balaklava and other treatments associated with it would bring out the best yields and thus allowing farmers to have a flourishing business.